St. Philip's Episcopal Church was founded in 1899, and held its first service in a vacant store at 1887 Pacific Avenue in the Weeksville area of Brooklyn. Soon after, a church site at 1610 Dean Street was acquired.
Membership in the mission chapel quickly rose to 500 people - many of whom had roots in Virginia, North Carolina and the Caribbean - the parishioners began programs and activities which appealed to community residents:
The first charter for a Black chapter of the Brotherhood of St. Andrew was issued to St. Philip's in 1903;
The first Black company of the United Boys Brigade, a forerunner of the Boy Scouts, was chartered in 1907;
One of the earliest Boy Scout charters given to any organization was granted to St. Philip's in 1921.
St. Philip's attained parish status in 1926.
In 1944, St. Philip's moved to its present building, a neo-Gothic edifice accommodating 900 people which was designed by Arni Delhi in 1899 for Good Shepherd Episcopal Church. In 1945, the Stuyvesant Community Center was established in the adjoining parish house, becoming the first community center in Bedford-Stuyvesant run by and for Blacks.
St. Philip's continues to provide leadership in the religious, social, cultural and economic life of the community. The church is located in the Stuyvesant Heights Historical District, designated by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission in 1971.
We are an urban congregation representing different cultural backgrounds including the United States, Africa and the Caribbean. The educational levels vary. The lay vocations cover a broad spectrum. While most parishioners live in Brooklyn, we continue to draw from the neighboring boroughs.
The mission of Saint Philip’s Church is to be a loving, caring and faithful worshiping congregation that is diverse, embracing others and committed to community service.
St. Philip's Episcopal/Anglican Church
334 MacDonough Street ~ Brooklyn, N.Y. 11233 - 718-778-8700